Having dominated the chart for the past few weeks, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey slipped three places to fourth, the fantasy epic having banked a total of £48.49m to date, while The Impossible also fell three to fifth in its second weekend. Thanks to four days of preview screenings, horror sequel Texas Chainsaw 3D posted a solid £1.25m opening in sixth place, with Quartet, Jack Reacher, Pitch Perfect and Parental Guidance all dropping three spots from last week to fill out the rest of the top ten.
Number one this time last year: War Horse
1. Les Miserables - £8.12m weekend (New)
2. Life of Pi - £2.33m weekend (4 weeks)
3. Gangster Squad - £2.09m weekend (New)
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - £1.86m weekend (5 weeks)
5. The Impossible - £1.86m weekend (2 weeks)
6. Texas Chainsaw 3D - £1.25m weekend (New)
7. Quartet - £891,829 weekend (2 weeks)
8. Jack Reacher - £690,043 weekend (3 weeks)
9. Pitch Perfect - £453,205 weekend (4 weeks)
10. Parental Guidance - £401,627 weekend (3 weeks)
This Friday sees the release of Quentin Tarantino's Spaghetti Western homage Django Unchained (cert. 18) [read our review here], along with horror anthology V/H/S (cert. 18) and indie drama The Sessions (cert. 15). Meanwhile, there's also a limited 3D re-release for Pixar's animated classic Monsters Inc. (cert. U).