UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 14th January to Sunday 16th February 2014….
Warner Bros. animated comedy The LEGO Movie claimed first place at the UK box office in its opening weekend, with the film banking a hefty £8,051,140 (including £2.16 million of preview takings) to destroy the competition and continue directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street) impressive run of form. With the half-term holidays this week, expect The LEGO Movie to have amassed a mighty haul by close of play this coming weekend.
Alongside The LEGO Movie, four other newcomers managed to crack the top ten, with George Clooney’s The Monuments Men the best of the rest in second place with £1,616,625. Disney’s animated sequel Tinker Bell and The Pirate Fairy earned £966,920 in sixth, followed by the Nick Frost / Rashida Jones salsa-dancing rom-com Cuban Fury in seventh with £966,276 and the Alex Pettyfer / Gabriella Wilde romance Endless Love in eighth with £744,867.
Number one this time last year: A Good Day to Die Hard
1. The Lego Movie – £8,051,140 weekend (New)
2. The Monuments Men – £1,616,625 weekend (New)
3. RoboCop – £1,509,810 weekend (2 weeks)
4. Mr. Peabody & Sherman – £1,404,118 weekend (2 weeks)
5. The Wolf of Wall Street – £1,130,707 weekend (5 weeks)
6. Tinker Bell and The Pirate Fairy – £966,920 weekend (New)
7. Cuban Fury – £966,276 weekend (New)
8. Endless Love – £744,867 weekend (New)
9. Dallas Buyers Club – £716,123 weekend (2 weeks)
10. 12 Years a Slave – £536,615 weekend (6 weeks)
Several new films enter the marketplace this Friday, but you’d have to expect them all to struggle against the might of The LEGO Movie; anyway, among the newcomers are Jim Jarmusch’s vampire tale Only Lovers Left Alive (cert. 15) starring Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, the star-studded A New York Winter’s Tale (cert. 12A) featuring Russell Crowe, Will Smith, Jennifer Connelly, Colin Farrell, Matt Bomer, Jessica Brown Findlay and Eva Marie Saint, and the WWII epic Stalingrad (cert. 15).