UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 18th – Sunday 20th April 2014…
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 swung into cinemas last Wednesday, with the Sony superhero sequel posting the biggest debut of the year so far with £9,011,114 (including £2.88 million of Wednesday and Thursday previews) to knock Marvel rival Captain America: The Winter Soldier from the top of the UK box office chart. That figure is down from The Amazing Spider-Man’s £11.1 million debut back in 2012, although that included an extra day of previews.
Elsewhere, three other newcomers managed to crack the top ten, with the Pierce Brosnan / Emma Thompson romance The Love Punch earning £613,424 to claim fifth, followed by the Tom Hardy-headlined Locke in ninth with £251,063 and Bollywood romance 2 States propping up the chart in tenth with £208,578.
Number one this time last year: Oblivion
1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, £9,011,114 weekend (New)
2. Rio 2, £1,132,641 weekend; £9,790,565 total (3 weeks)
3. Noah, £920,803 weekend; £7,839,969 total (3 weeks)
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, £831,901 weekend; £16,748,625 total (4 weeks)
5. The Love Punch, £613,424 weekend (New)
6. Divergent, £500,206 weekend; £5,445,854 total (3 weeks)
7. Calvary, £394,095 weekend; £1,394,543 total (2 weeks)
8. Muppets Most Wanted, £366,312 weekend; £6,159,978 total (4 weeks)
9. Locke, £251,063 weekend (New)
10. 2 States, £208,578 weekend (New)
Today sees the release of the romantic comedy The Other Woman (cert. 12A) starring Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, while the Johnny Depp-headlined sci-fi Transcendence (cert. 12A) also arrives on Friday, having already enjoyed four days of previews over the Friday-Monday period. Meanwhile, Friday also brings us limited releases for Tracks (cert. 12A), starring Mia Wasikowska and Adam Driver, and Exhibition (cert. 15) featuring Viv Albertine, Liam Gillick, and Tom Hiddleston.