UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 11th – Sunday 13th April 2014…
After dropping to second place last weekend, Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier has reclaimed top spot at the UK box office, with a third-weekend haul of £1.78 million giving the Phase Two sequel £14.6 million to date on these shores.
With second, third and fourth place occupied by last week’s big releases Noah, Rio 2 and Divergent, the highest new entry of this weekend was Hammer’s The Quiet Ones, which pulled in £681,305 to take fifth. The Irish comedy Calvary – which reunites The Guard director John Michael McDonagh and star Brendan Gleeson – earned a solid £571,489 from just 150 screens to take seventh ahead of another new release, martial arts sequel The Raid 2, which pulled in £454,150.
Number one this time last year: Oblivion
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, £1,782,201 weekend; £14,618,819 total (3 weeks)
2. Noah, £1,591,916 weekend; £5,868,788 total (2 weeks)
3. Rio 2, £1,559,793 weekend; £6,763,364 total (2 weeks)
4. Divergent, £1,003,202 weekend; £4,013,006 total (2 weeks)
5. The Quiet Ones, £681,305 weekend (New)
6. Muppets Most Wanted, £602,305 weekend; £5,086,623 total (3 weeks)
7. Calvary, £571,489 weekend (New)
8. The Raid 2, £454,150 weekend (New)
9. The Grand Budapest Hotel, £332,145 weekend; £9,872,335 total (6 weeks)
10. The LEGO Movie, £196,050 weekend; £32,512,022 total (9 weeks)
The second superhero movie of 2014 arrives today as Sony unleashes The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (cert. 12A) [read our review here] and Andrew Garfield’s wall-crawler should have absolutely no trouble delivering a solid opening, boosted by two days of preview screenings slap bang in the middle of the school holidays. Also released this Friday is the Tom Hardy-starrer Locke (cert. 15) [read our review here], as well as The Sea (cert. 12A), The Love Punch (cert. 12A), Magic Magic (cert. 15), We Are The Best! (cert. 15), Reaching for the Moon (cert. 12A) and Wrinkles (cert. 15).