Atari has announced Early Access availability for Asteroids: Output, its reboot of the 1979 arcade classic which updates the action of the original video game by putting players into an open world multi-player shooter in the role of deep space miners, harvesting rare ore and expanding their based while protecting themselves from deadly asteroid showers and claim jumpers.
In Asteroids: Outpost, mankind has expanded its reach into the distant corners of the solar system. Near-space vessels, heavy industry on the moon and thriving colonies on Mars extend humanity’s empire into the great blackness of space. Our solar system’s massive Asteroid Belt is a mother lode of resources, just waiting to be torn free and shipped home. “The Belt” is humanity’s newest frontier, as wild and untamed as any that man has faced. Ambitious prospectors blast off with little more than an Outpost Module and a Mining Tool to break open fallen asteroids to find their fortunes. This bonanza doesn’t come without risks and mere survival is a daily struggle. Asteroid storms bombard the surface, destroying Outposts, and hostile claim jumpers can appear at any moment. For the brave, there is a fortune to be made. For the foolish – there is only death. Welcome to the new Gold Rush.
Key gameplay features available at the Early Access launch include:
– Tool & Weapon Crafting – Using tech and ore, gamers craft upgrades to their tools to create advanced weapons.
– Base-Building & Degradation – Serving as both a player’s mining headquarters and home, bases are easily built in a square grid pattern by crafting and connecting modular pieces.
– Asteroid Showers – Recurring showers of smaller asteroids represent both a source of wealth and a deadly threat, as players must shoot down incoming projectiles to defend their claims and harvest components from the fallen rock.
– Resource Gathering – Mine the asteroid’s surface or scavenge bases and crash sites to gather resources required to craft and upgrade materials.
– Terrain Exploration – Utilize in-game suits and vehicles to explore the lunar terrain and search complex landscapes featuring craters, boulders, cliffs and valleys, crystal formations, lava flows, gas plumes, and more.
– Attacking & Looting –Bases include resource refining equipment and storage areas that are susceptible to looting, meaning players not only need to protect the precious resources they’ve collected but they also have the opportunity to seek out and loot nearby bases.
If you’re interested in trying out the Early Access version of Asteroids: Outpost, then head on over to the Steam page.