After the rumours that the ending of Mission: Impossible 5 was to be reshot in order to be “better”, there was some growing concern about Christopher McQuarrie’s entry into the long-running franchise. However, not only has the director put those rumours to bed once and for all, he’s also revealed that the trailer, title and poster for the movie will be unveiled soon as part of a Twitter Q&A.
- He enjoyed working with Rebecca Ferguson, and called her “fantastic”
- The ending did not need to be reshot. McQuarrie says that they had to “prep it” and are “shooting it now”.
- He teased that the movie would be less “old school” and more akin to something from the 90s.
- There will also be several “nods” to previous movies and the TV show.
- As for tone, McQuarrie says that they aimed for Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol levels of “dark”, but that the series has a life of its own. He also adds that he’s not trying to top the last movie. There will also be plenty of Brian De Palma references.
- He adds that Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg will have bigger roles to play and that Pegg will “get his hands dirty”.
- Sean Harris (Prometheus) will play the bad guy.
- Both Paula Patton (Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) and Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible 3) were approached to reprise their roles, but were unavailable.
— ChristopherMcQuarrie (@chrismcquarrie) March 7, 2015
Mission: Impossible 5 is set for release on July 31st, with Tom Cruise in joined by fellow franchise veterans Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames and new additions Rebecca Ferguson (Hercules), Sean Harris (Prometheus) and Alec Baldwin (Still Alice).