Here at Flickering Myth we’ve been keeping you updated about the PLAY it! event at the MOSI in Manchester. Well today we can reveal the full event line-up and what you can expect to see.
PLAY it! will be separated into six individual gaming zone, which are as follows:-
These will be themed tributes to the very best gaming franchises, offering hands-on play of video games old and new: from Mario & Sonic to Tomb Raider, Star Wars and Lego Games.
2. The Ring: Modern Games & Tournaments
The Ring – a 16 screen gaming carousel hosting both casual and competitive head-to-head LAN gaming on some of the best “FPS” and driving games of recent times. Drop in and out of a round of Halo, or race your mates across the streets of Los Angeles in Blur.
3. Replay AGES
A knockout selection of the very best games and systems from the last four decades, beginning with home computer classics Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg and Sensible Soccer on the Spectrum, BBC Micro and Commodore.
Next up are the games and systems that formed the “Console Wars” of the 1990s. Consoles include the Megadrive, SNES, Nintendo 64 & Dreamcast, which boast favourites such as Street of Rage, Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon Stadium and Crazy Taxi.
Replay AGES concludes with a selection of games and consoles from more recent times including PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo Wii systems.
4. Multiplayer Gaming Lounges
Clusters of four player, single-screen games where all players sit next to each other nudging and laughing their way through a lap of Mario Kart, a round of Goldeneye or a battle on Super Smash Brothers.
Our Minecraft creative build server offers a world where players are encouraged to explore, build and survive the nights and the deepest caves.
6. PLAY it! EXTRA
- Freeplay ArcadeRelive the glory days of the great British arcade with the PLAY it! selection of arcade cabinets. Each machine features a selection of free-to-play classic arcade games, so no need for a bag full of 10 pences!
- Move and GroveThe best music, dance and rhythm-action based games from all over the world. From classics like Donkey Konga and Parappa the Rapper, to hidden gems like Taiko Drum Master and modern favourites Rock Band and DJ Hero.
- Air and Space
Both simulator-based and arcade-based flying games, which can be controlled with authentic flight sticks.
With its revolutionary 3D graphics and open-ended environment, Elite – the space-based trading game – set a new standard in terms of depth when it arrived on the scene in 1984. The original BBC Micro version will be showcased alongside the very latest version in the franchise: Elite Dangerous.
- Ocean Software tributeA showcase of some of the best and most popular titles that emanated from the leading, Manchester-based studio, Ocean Software.
- The 80s ClassroomA unique opportunity to experience life in the 1980s computer room. Fun programming challenges, freestyle BASIC programming, educational software and classic arcade games on the original educational computer – the BBC Micro.
As you can see this is going to be a truly impressive experience no matter what gaming era you have grown up in you’ll be in you element here.
PLAY it! Manchester runs from Saturday 25 July to Sunday 9 August at the Museum of Science and Industry as part of the museum’s summer programme.
For more news on PLAY Margate click here and for more news on PLAY Expo – in Manchester – then click here.
Villordsutch likes his sci-fi and looks like a tubby Viking according to his children. Visit his website and follow him on Twitter.