UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 21st August to Sunday 23rd August 2015…
After just one week atop the UK box office chart, Adam Sandler’s Pixels plummeted to sixth as Paper Towns took first place at the box office in its opening weekend.
The John Green adaptation pulled in £2,072,789, although that included £1.33 million from Monday to Thursday previews, with its actual weekend haul of £744,000 only enough to claim seventh place over the three-day period.
In addition to Paper Towns, three other newcomers cracked the top ten, with Sinister 2 earning £1,069,261 in third, Vacation pulling in £608,748 to take seventh and The Bad Education Movie claiming eighth with £594,861.
Number one this time last year: Lucy
1. Paper Towns, £2,072,789 weekend (New)
2. Inside Out, £1,379,702 weekend; £30,651,236 total (5 weeks)
3. Sinister 2, £1,069,261 weekend (New)
4. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, £1,042,827 weekend; £16,945,898 total (4 weeks)
5. The Man from U.N.C.L.E., £917,934 weekend; £3,545,230 total (2 weeks)
6. Pixels, £820,456 weekend; £4,730,907 total (2 weeks)
7. Vacation, £608,748 weekend (New)
8. The Bad Education Movie, £594,861 weekend (New)
9. Trainwreck, £492,567 weekend; £2,171,353 total (2 weeks)
10. Minions, £390,409 weekend; £44,204,464 total (9 weeks)
Tomorrow sees two newcomers stealing a march on the rest of the weekend’s releases in Hitman: Agent 47 [read our review here] and the Zac Efron-headlined We Are Your Friends, while Friday’s new arrivals include Straight Outta Compton [read our review here], Barely Lethal and 45 Years.