UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 23rd October to Sunday 25th October 2015…
Sony Animation’s sequel Hotel Transylvania 2 held on to top spot at the UK box office for the second week in a row with £2.28 million – although its reign will be short-lived, with Spectre pulling in £4 million on its opening day this past Monday on its way to what could be the biggest weekend of the year (thanks to four days of previews).
Only two new releases managed to crack the top ten, with Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension claiming third place with £1,472,427 (of which £350,000 came from two days of previews), and Vin Diesel’s supernatural action thriller The Last Witch Hunter pulling in £1,241,292 – including £230,000 of previews – to land in fifth.
Number one this time last year: Fury
1. Hotel Transylvania 2, £2,275,612 weekend; £9,401,493 total (2 weeks)
2. The Martian, £1,732,329 weekend; £20,391,517 total (4 weeks)
3. Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension, £1,472,427 weekend (New)
4. Suffragette, £1,343,819 weekend; £5,806,295 total (2 weeks)
5. The Last Witch Hunter, £1,241,292 weekend (New)
6. Pan, £1,215,080 weekend; £4,592,531 total (2 weeks)
7. Sicario, £549,458 weekend; £4,379,944 total (3 weeks)
8. Crimson Peak, £500,299 weekend; £1,994,317 total (2 weeks)
9. Legend, £286,176 weekend; £18,063,131 total (7 weeks)
10. The Lobster, £241,922 weekend; £651,712 total (2 weeks)
As previously mentioned, Spectre opened on Monday [read our reviews here and here], while Friday’s newcomers include The Vatican Tapes, Under Milk Wood, Outcast, Bound to Vengeance and Do I Sound Gay?.