Sega and developer Relic Entertainment have revealed the Eldar are coming as a playable race to Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III and have released details, screenshots and artwork for one of the most ancient races in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
The ancient Eldar are the remnants of a race that fell from an enlightened path to such a degree that they created the Chaos god Slaanesh and the Eye of Terror. Although those Eldar who remain despise what their race had become they still maintain a high degree of arrogance towards other races, particularly humans. The Eldar have powerful psychic abilities and advanced technology at their disposal and can use portals known as Webways, Jet Bikes and Grav Tanks to get into combat, strike at the enemy quickly and fade away.
Relic have released details on the troops and characters that the Eldar can take into combat. Farseer Macha is a veteran of many wars and also powerful psyker of the Biel-Tan Craftworld. Her psychic abilities can do damage to her enemies or provide buffs to her allies. Wraithknight Taldeer is excellent at breaking enemy lines with a powerful jump attack and an oversized Withblade. Using her psychic powers, Taldeer can form a shield that blocks all damage for a short time and can use Eldritch Slash which slows the enemy down and reduces their damage.
Other units at the Eldar players disposal include:
- Dire Avengers are a ranged unit that deals damage in bursts and uses grenades with knockback, allowing for hit and run tactics.
- Howling Banshees are a melee unit that release a deafening scream when charging which slows down all enemy units in an area.
- Dark Reapers – These heavy ranged units deal moderate damage to all targets in an area.
- Rangers are a stealth unit that specialise in reconnaissance and and are excellent at taking up sniper positions at long range.
- Shadow Spectres are a skimmer infantry and are very effective against armoured and air units.
- Fire Prism Grav tank has a very long range attack and can prove deadly to vehicles but if it misses there is a long delay before it can fire again.
Looking at the artwork, screenshots and Eldar Vignette below it certainly looks like the Eldar will give the Imperium a run for their money in Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III.