With the ZX Spectrum Next currently enjoying the limelight across Kickstarter and other numerous outlets, The64 has now arrived at the door to bring us some news on the progress on this upcoming new “Retro” machine. With news including securing a worldwide manufacturer / distributor and the The64 MINI’s new role in the product chain, there is a lot to take in…
For those that have been following the regular updates over the past few months you’ve seen numerous CAD and plastic designs of The64 MINI as well as the handheld unit. Now the announcement has come in that the team will be working with a major international distributor and manufacturer, and it’s thanks to this along with feedback from numerous sources including: customer feedback, market research and industry sector trends, the product range has been re-envisioned; centring the machines around The64 MINI meeting the needs of a wider range of customers.
SEE ALSO: Follow all of our The64 news here
“This is fantastic news for the product, and particular the backers of the Indiegogo campaign, as we fell short of our campaign funding target which, frustratingly, slowed our progress. With this global partner, we have the missing infrastructure and backing to complete the projects without having to secure further funding.”
As for the name of the company – The64 team are working with – this will be revealed in the next few coming weeks.
There is also news on the User Interface (UI). As the product range has changed the team at The64 have had new ideas in relation to the UI and we’re told they’ve done some “cool things” with it, not only this but also it looks “beautiful”. On the games side of things – it appears -this keeps getting better.
“we have secured an even greater catalogue of really quite excellent games”
Relating to the games we were told – as the backers – we will get a chance to vote on which games will be added come the final release, as mentioned back at the beginning of April. Finally the team goes on to list their forthcoming plan of action.
So to summarise:
- Once the partner paperwork is through, we will have direct access to marketing, factory and distribution channels, and will be laying out a comprehensive, graphical and trackable timeline so you can call follow progress.
- This timeline signifies the start of the production process, so the clock will be ticking.
- We will commission packaging proofs and let you have a sneak peek.
- The games list will be announced.
- The free extras we’re adding as a thank-you for backing us and being patient will be revealed, and we might even throw in a few more! it’s hard not to feel generous when you’re as excited as we are!
- Once we have the UI working coherently, we’ll release a for-your-eyes-only walkthrough of the key features.