Yesterday we brought you the news that the ZX Spectrum Next has launched its Kickstarter campaign on the ZX Spectrum’s 35th Birthday, setting their wanted target at £250,000. Well the team have already smashed their needed total and are continuing to climb past it as you read this!
The ZX Spectrum Next is a natural evolution in the ZX Spectrum series, announced back in May 2016 and with a team including Henrique Olifiers – check out our interview with him here – Victor Trucco, Fabio Belavenuto, Jim Bagley and the original ZX Spectrum designer Rick Dickinson who we also recently interviewed here at Flickering Myth.
This machine combines both the love of the classic and the modern in one great looking case; check out the specifications below:-
The Spectrum Next is fully implemented with FPGA technology, ensuring it can be upgraded and enhanced while remaining truly compatible with the original hardware by using special memory chips and clever design. Here’s what under the hood of the machine:
- Processor: Z80 3.5Mhz and 7Mhz modes
- Memory: 512Kb RAM (expandable to 1.5Mb internally and 2.5Mb externally)
- Video: Hardware sprites, 256 colours mode, Timex 8×1 mode etc.
- Video Output: RGB, VGA, HDMI
- Storage: SD Card slot, with DivMMC-compatible protocol
- Audio: 3x AY-3-8912 audio chips with stereo output + FM sound
- Joystick: DB9 compatible with Cursor, Kempston and Interface 2 protocols (selectable)
- PS/2 port: Mouse with Kempston mode emulation and an external keyboard
- Special: Multiface functionality for memory access, savegames, cheats etc.
- Tape support: Mic and Ear ports for tape loading and saving
- Expansion: Original external bus expansion port and accelerator expansion port
- Accelerator board (optional): GPU / 1Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM
- Network (optional): Wi Fi module
- Extras: Real Time Clock (optional), internal speaker (optional)
The Kickstarter campaign has – as of this publication – 28 days to go, so you can still pledge money and be involved. If you want to be part of the ZX Spectrum Next development and perhaps have one on your desk come release then go here.