In little over twelve hours time, the ZX Spectrum Next Kickstarter campaign will soon come to a close and the race is now on for the final stretch goal of £650,000 to be hit before the doors officially shut. Initially wanting a total of £250,000, this was blown out of the water in under 48 hours and the campaign total continued to grow every day with new stretch goals being added every week.
As you can see below, the stretch goals have not only included printed manuals, a physical box for the machine to arrive in and more memory but we’re seeing a new Rex game from Jas Austin, a brand-new Dizzy title from the Oliver Twins and an also internet tools including multiplayer gaming. This campaign (at the time of press) only needs just over £1000 to break the last stretch goal!
The ZX Spectrum Next is a natural evolution in the ZX Spectrum series, with a team including Henrique Olifiers – check out our interview with him here – Victor Trucco, Fabio Belavenuto, Jim Bagley and the original ZX Spectrum designer Rick Dickinson who we also recently interviewed here at Flickering Myth.
The Spectrum Next is fully implemented with FPGA technology, ensuring it can be upgraded and enhanced while remaining truly compatible with the original hardware by using special memory chips and clever design. Here’s what under the hood of the machine:
- Processor: Z80 3.5Mhz and 7Mhz modes
- Memory: 512Kb RAM (expandable to 1.5Mb internally and 2.5Mb externally)
- Video: Hardware sprites, 256 colours mode, Timex 8×1 mode etc.
- Video Output: RGB, VGA, HDMI
- Storage: SD Card slot, with DivMMC-compatible protocol
- Audio: 3x AY-3-8912 audio chips with stereo output + FM sound
- Joystick: DB9 compatible with Cursor, Kempston and Interface 2 protocols (selectable)
- PS/2 port: Mouse with Kempston mode emulation and an external keyboard
- Special: Multiface functionality for memory access, savegames, cheats etc.
- Tape support: Mic and Ear ports for tape loading and saving
- Expansion: Original external bus expansion port and accelerator expansion port
- Accelerator board (optional): GPU / 1Ghz CPU / 512Mb RAM
- Network (optional): Wi Fi module
- Extras: Real Time Clock (optional), internal speaker (optional)
If you want to be part of the ZX Spectrum Next campaign and help break that final stretch goal then go here.