In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced the upcoming 4K Ultra HD release of Stanley Kubrick’s sci-fi classic 2001: A Space Odyssey which is set to arrive on October 29th in the UK and October 30th in North America.
For the first time since the original release, new 70mm prints were struck from pristine printing elements made from the original camera negative. A longtime admirer of the late American auteur, Christopher Nolan worked closely with the team at Warner Bros. Pictures throughout the mastering process.
Building on the work done for the new 70mm prints, the 4K UHD with HDR presentation was mastered from the 65mm original camera negative. The 4K UHD also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 6-track theatrical audio mix (formatted for 5.1 DTS-HD master audio).
“2001 to me is the most cinematic film that has ever been made and it has been an honour and a privilege to be able to share the film with a new generation,” said Nolan. “4K UHD allows the closest recreation of viewing the original film print in your own home. Kubrick’s masterpiece was originally presented on large format film and the deeper colour palette and superior resolution comes closest to matching the original analogue presentation.”
The 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD Blu-ray contains the following:
· 4K UHD Blu-ray™ with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
· Remastered Blu-ray™ with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
· The Making of a Myth
· Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
· Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
· 2001: A Space Odyssey – A Look Behind the Future
· What Is Out There?
· 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
· Look: Stanley Kubrick!
· 11/27/66 Interview with Stanley Kubrick [Audio Only]
· Original Theatrical Trailer
· Premium Booklet
· Art Cards