Jessie Robertson reviews the eighth episode of The Flash season 5…
There is a lot going on this week……This is a Dad-Daughter Dance like you’ve never seen!
– This was a Nora episode; she got a huge spotlight to shine and she did not disappoint. I have not stopped gushing over Jessica Parker Kennedy all season and there’s a giant reason why: she’s a great actress!! From her gameplan to go back to the past (not easy exposition to give) to the energetic look and high five she gives Mom (Iris) when she gets the okay to go with Barry, she steals every scene she’s in, easily. I love as they go back, she catches moments from her parents past, the triumph, the darkness, she sees it all and takes it all in. All she’s ever wanted to do was know who these people were, the most important people in her life, in their prime and how they ended up where they are with her in the future. When Nora and Barry come together, and embrace, I said outloud “These two are killing it this season!”
– Love the Grodd moment when they go back to the accelerator explosion.
– Little did we know this episode would also be about a character we thought long gone, Eobard Thawne, at least, in his Harrison Wells body suit. The exchange they had with Thawne in the past was intense. Then later, Nora speaks with Sherloque, and he drops that “clever girl” line…..oooh chills. The time code revealed, Thawne’s future prison, wow, Flash is outdoing itself right now. But, I hope it doesn’t dwell (or rely) on the past too much.
– Again, Nora love – the line when they both go back to look at Henry & Nora, “Do you ever think about stopping what happens next?” is so on point, so deep and Barry’s reaction is priceless. Grant Gustin is working hard for his money.
– “Clever girl”
– “a Vibe” Thawne killing the subtle references
– Not only was Tom Cavanagh (all the Wells) really great tonight, he directed this episode! Tough task with so many flashbacks and makeup changes, and it was the Flash’s 100th episode. Great job everyone involved!
The Not So Good:
– I don’t have a lot to say on this side tonight: Any time you can get a Bill & Ted reference in there I’m on board but why were they running like that going back to the past? Was it supposed to loo hokey?
– The time talk….that’s always tough dialogue but I really thought the approving look from Iris as “discarded items” of the past were discussed was over selling it.
– Zoom came right back? He disappears for long stretches during that season, and here, he is right back. No, sir, no.
– Ugh….the Time Wraith.
– Evil Thawne’s terrible makeup
– I have an awful suspicion the episode in question where Barry gets taken hostage by Thawne does not play out with this new knowledge that he met another Barry & Nora in the middle of all that.
– The battle with Cicada…..all that for naught…..I’m not a fan, honestly.
Happy 100 Episodes, Flash!