After three weeks atop the US box office chart, Universal’s massive success Straight Outta Compton has been replaced on its fourth week of release by Sony’s War Room.
War Room, the faith-based film, dropped just 18% on its second week of release, grossing around $9.3 million over the three-day weekend to take top spot. Compton had to settle for second place, with a weekend cume of $8.7 million taking its domestic total to $147.6million.
In new releases this weekend, Robert Redford-Nick Nolte starrer A Walk in the Woods was the highest new entry at number three with around $8.2 million, while actioner The Transporter Refueled followed fellow rebott/quasi-sequel Hitman: Agent 47 in the flop pile, amassing just $7.2 million in its opening three days.
Surprising forecasters was Mexican animated film Un Gallo Con Muchos Huevos, which opened at 7 and amassed $3.4 million from just 395 theaters, for a decent $8,607 screen average.
Top 10 US Box Office (Sept 4th-Sept 6th):
1. War Room $9,350,000 $24,663,458 total
2. Straight Outta Compton $8,850,000 $147,785,705 total
3. A Walk in the Woods $8,400,000 $10,459,000 total
4. M: I – Rogue Nation $7,150,000 $180,386,692 total
5. The Transporter Refueled $7,130,000 $7,130,000 —
6. No Escape $5,445,000 $18,446,079 total
7. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. $3,445,000 $39,374,148 total
8. Un Gallo con Muchos Huevos $3,400,000 $3,400,000 —
9. Sinister 2 Focus $3,146,000 $348,219,280 total