Flickering Myth is always keen to expand our writing team with talented contributors who have an interest in film, TV, comic books, video games and pop culture.
What We’re Looking For
Please note that at present our staff positions are filled, but we are always open to freelance contributions and pitches, as well as writers seeking a regular outlet. We’re happy for contributors to write across any areas on the site, but at present we’re particularly keen to expand on the following areas at present:
– Long-Form Content – Opinion pieces, list-based articles, recurring columns and other feature pieces relating to pop culture, mainstream and genre cinema/television (geek, horror, cult, sci-fi, action, exploitation, VHS era, B-movies, 80s, 90s & 00s nostalgia).
– Video Content Creators – We’re keen to expand our video content on site and our YouTube channel, and interested in hearing from anyone who’d like to get involved across all levels, from writing, producing and editing to presenting.
– Freelance Reviewers – Although our staff writers have the majority of theatrical releases covered, we do occasionally have openings for freelance movie reviewers (particularly around horror, sci-fi and action releases), as well as television, comic books and video game titles.
– News Writers – Movie and TV news pieces with a particular emphasis on pop culture, mainstream and genre cinema/television.
– Non-Writing – Social media, graphic design, marketing and promotion… if you think you can bring something and add to what we do here at FM, we’d love to hear from you.
What’s In It For Me?
While all of the writers on Flickering Myth are paid, we have to be completely upfront here: our budget is tight at the minute, and so unfortunately our freelance rates are pretty nominal.
Still, along with a little pocket money, we do offer early access to review titles (as a Rotten Tomatoes-approved publication, your reviews will also contribute to the Tomatometer), invites to events and screenings, and the opportunity showcase your work to an audience of more than one million visitors per month. And, of course, you also get to join a friendly bunch of film and TV fans!
What Skills and Experience Do I Need?
No experience is necessary, although we would expect a good level of spelling and grammar, as well as a genuine interest, knowledge and passion for your chosen area. Familiarity with WordPress is beneficial, but again not essential.
We’re basically looking for reliable people who deliver what they promise, and in a timely manner. And if you’re not a regular reader of Flickering Myth, please take a moment to browse through our site and familiarise yourself with our content and our voice.
Sounds Good – What Next?
If any of this sounds interesting then drop us a brief email with your pitch, or if it’s just a more general enquiry feel free to introduce yourself, your interests, any experience you may have, the areas you’d be keen to cover, and your availability to contribute.
Be sure to include a writing sample from your specific area (a news story, a review etc.), or links to work previously published online, and please only get in touch if you’re serious about your application.
We do try to respond to all enquiries, but things can get a bit manic at times and so it may not always be possible to provide feedback.