After the release of the ZX Spectrum Vega+ technical specs just the other day, it would seem us retrogamers of the world are being spoilt, as arriving late yesterday evening on the ZX Spectrum Next Facebook page was the final technical specifications for the rather splendid looking machine that is the ZX Spectrum Next. Not only this we were given a look at the inner workings of the ZX Spectrum Next too.
The specifications below are stated to be for the current final version:-
– Xilinx FPGA
– Up to 2.5 Mb of RAM
– Internal GPIO with all free FPGA pins
– ESP8266 module
– Internal sound
– Second SD card slot
– Video Modes: Radastan, Timex Hi-color, Timex hi-resolution, all implemented and working fine. Still to do: Spectra modes.
– Audio: new “Turbo Sound Next”, a 9 channels PSG + FM Sound interface. Compatible with regular Turbo Sound and internal AY.
– Selectable Joystick Modes: Kempston, Sinclair, Cursor
OLD, BUT GOLD
– PS/2 port: Support for both keyboard and mouse (need a Y cable to use both at same time)
– Tape interface (with O.T.L.A. support!)
– Romantic Robot Multiface (One, 128 and 3)
– External bus port
– Accelerator Board
Victor Trucco, part of the team bringing the ZX Spectrum Next to fruition, highlighted that they are ordering ten prototypes from SMS Electronics of this final design for testing purposes, then once these have been tested (and retested) the Kickstarter campaign will finally be going live; which many of us have been waiting for since this machine was announced back in May 2016.