A report has claimed that season 7 of Game of Thrones has been pirated over a billion times.
The report (via Sky) comes from tech company Muso with their suggested figure including illegal torrents and unlicensed streams. Muso claims to have the largest database of metadata on real-time piracy behaviour.
The company describe the number of people watching the hit fantasy HBO show as “unprecedented”.
“Within the first 72 hours of broadcast, the Season 7 premiere was downloaded and streamed over 90 million times,” the report says.
“This was eclipsed by the season finale which accumulated more than 120 million downloads and streams (in 72 hours).”
The report also claims that episode 1 of season 7 has been watched illegally more than 187 million times by September 3. The finale has been watched 143 million times.
The total figure for the series is reportedly 1,029,787,668, with 85% of this figure being made up via streaming with torrents and downloads taking up the remaining 15%.