UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 20th March to Sunday 22nd March 2015…
DreamWorks Animation’s Home fended off competition from YA sequel The Divergent Series: Insurgent to take top spot at the UK box office this past weekend with a hefty £6,025,917 opening, although that did include £3.4 million of previews from the previous Saturday and Sunday.
Despite failing to secure top spot, Insurgent was up 44% on the opening haul of its predecessor, earning £2,938,860 (which included £385,000 of previews) for a comfortable second place. Meanwhile the Sean Penn actioner The Gunman debuted in fifth with £405,934, while Jason Statham’s latest Wild Card just managed to sneak into the top ten with £152,034.
Number one this time last year: The Grand Budapest Hotel
1. Home, £6,025,917 weekend (New)
2. The Divergent Series: Insurgent, £2,938,860 weekend (New)
3. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, £671,088 weekend; £13,413,705 total (4 weeks)
4. Focus, £490,317 weekend; £6,527,072 total (4 weeks)
5. The Gunman, £405,934 weekend (New)
6. Run All Night, £348,638 weekend; £1,680,666 total (2 weeks)
7. Suite Francaise, £268,607 weekend; £1,293,408 total (2 weeks)
8. Still Alice, £257,016 weekend; £1,698,527 total (3 weeks)
9. Fifty Shades of Grey, £235,681 weekend; £34,395,106 total (6 weeks)
10. Wild Card, £152,034 weekend (New)
Friday brings us several new releases, including Disney’s live-action Cinderella (cert. TBC) [read our review here], along with The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (cert. U), fantasy Seventh Son (cert. 12A) [read our review here], comedy Get Hard (cert. TBC), black comedy Wild Tales (cert. 15), British sci-fi Robot Overlords (cert. TBC), sci-fi thriller The Signal (cert. 15) [read our review here] and psychological thriller The Face of An Angel (cert. 15).