UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 16th October to Sunday 18th October 2015…
The UK box office chart received a shakeup this past weekend with five new entries all cracking the top ten, the best of which was Hotel Transylvania 2, with the Sony animated sequel pulling in a hefty £6,317,438. That figure was inflated by preview screenings for the previous two Saturday and Sundays, with the film actually grossing £2.82 million over the three day weekend.
In second place (and also benefiting from four days of previews totaling £1.4 million) was Suffragette, which claimed second place with £2,938,446, while Pan shook off a poor U.S. debut to take third place with £2,738,758, although again that was boosted by £1.04 million of previews from the previous weekend.
One film that didn’t have any preview screenings to help it out was Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak, which faltered with £967,168 in fifth, and The Lobster took ninth place with £229,619.
Number one this time last year: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
1. Hotel Transylvania 2, £6,317,438 weekend (New)
2. Suffragette, £2,938,446 weekend (New)
3. Pan, £2,738,758 weekend (New)
4. The Martian, £2,419,958 weekend; £17,491,033 total (3 weeks)
5. Crimson Peak, £967,168 weekend (New)
6. Sicario, £877,236 weekend; £3,341,737 total (2 weeks)
7. Legend, £449,248 weekend; £17,578,665 total (6 weeks)
8. The Intern, £269,851 weekend; £2,402,314 total (3 weeks)
9. The Lobster, £229,619 weekend (New)
10. Everest, £218,450 weekend; £10,265,763 total (5 weeks)
Along with a special reissue of Back to the Future Part II, yesterday saw the release of Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension and The Last Witch Hunter, while Friday’s newcomers include Paper Planes, Maya the Bee, Brand: A Second Coming [read our review here] and Mississippi Grind [read our review here].