Marvel has just announced the cast for their next television production, Marvel’s Runaways. Premiering on Hulu, the series is based on the comic created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona and will follow a group of teenagers who discover their parents are actually apart of a supervillain cabal.
The cast is as follows:
- Ariela Barer (New Girl) as Gert Yorkes, a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot girl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.
- Lyrica Okano (The Affair) as Nico Minoru–tough, intelligent, and independent–embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.
- Rhenzy Feliz (Teen Wolf) as Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.
- Gregg Sulkin (Anti-Social) as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.
- Virginia Gardner (Goat) as Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.
- Allegra Acosta (100 Things to do Before High School) as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.
On the news of the casting, Vaughan, who is also acting as an executive consultant for the series, said: “I’m so excited for fans of the comic to watch this perfect cast of amazing actors, all of whom embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined.”
Marvel’s Head of Television and famed comic writer Jeph Loeb also commented on the news, adding: “The fun and chemistry that this group of talented actors create is wonderful and we’re so excited to bring these beloved characters to life.”
“We have had a total blast bringing Brian and Adrian’s amazing story to life,” said showrunners Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. “We’re so happy they love the Runaways we’ve assembled as much as we do.”
What do you think of the cast? Are you excited to see Runaways brought to television? Let us know below…