Indie developer Digital Confectioners has announced their multiplayer RPG Dread Hunger will be leaving Early Access for a full release on Steam this autumn. This game of survival and betrayal takes players to the high seas on board a doomed sailing ship. Also released today is a trailer for the game’s second update (watch the trailer below) which features a new map, new character and a new enemy.
Dread Hunger takes 8 players to a 19th century Arctic exploration vessel where they will need to depend on each other for survival, however two players will become ‘Thralls’ and do whatever they can to sabotage the mission. All explorers will need to co-operate to gather resources to power the ship and survive the harsh conditions while the Thralls will plot to poison food, kill crewmembers, detonate explosives, plunder resources and perform dark magic, all while trying to remain undiscovered.
The game features:
- Build fires to stay warm and stave off wolves and worse. Hunt food to stay alive in the unforgiving Canadian Arctic.
- Betray friends with poisoned food, shoot them in the back or hex them with black magic.
- Choose from multiple characters, including Captain, Navigator, Engineer, Cook, Doctor, Chaplain, Royal Marine or Hunter.
- Make grim choices on what to eat in this inhospitable environment (No supermarkets in the Arctic is there!).
- Steer a 19th century vessel around the Arctic and either do what you can to ensure it continues to float or sinks.
- Plan around a full day and night cycle and survive blizzards.
“It has been deeply gratifying to see a loyal community spring up around Dread Hunger and throw themselves into everything from discovering new metas, to just goofing around and pretending to be old timey priests. We’ve been listening closely to the community’s feedback as we move through Early Access, and I think the game is so much better for it!” said Alex Quick, Creative Director of the Dread Hunger Team.
Dread Hunger is available on Steam Early Access now and will fully release this autumn.