Guillermo del Toro now says Hellboy 3 is “very unlikely”

Guillermo del Toro
Well, the Hellboy 3 saga rolls on… last week director Guillermo del Toro offered fans hope that the long-rumoured third instalment in the Hellboy movie franchise could find a new home at Legendary Pictures, but now the Pacific Rim helmer has played down the possibility of him completing his trilogy, telling Collider that a third feature film outing for Big Red looks “very unlikely”.

“It’s very unlikely [Hellboy 3] will happen because you need things to converge so strongly. [Producer] Larry Gordon, Universal, the rights, Ron Perlman’s and my availability, [comic creator] Mike [Mingola’s] blessing; we have pieces of that, but we don’t have all of that. You need so many things to confluence and then you need about $150 million.”
And it also looks like the possibility of del Toro completing his trilogy in comic book form is also off the cards, with the director going on to add, “I talked to Mike about making it a comic and Mike said very clearly, ‘Hellboy the movies is yours, Hellboy the comics is mine; I don’t wanna confuse them.’ He has been very clear about not bringing any mythology we did in the movies into the comics.”

Del Toro currently has several projects on his upcoming slate, including the TV series The Strain and the Victorian ghost story Crimson Peak, as well as Dark Universe, his proposed adaptation of DC Comics’ Justice League Dark. Meanwhile his latest film Pacific Rim arrives in cinemas this Friday; read our ★★★★ review here and listen to the Flickering Myth Pacific Rim review podcast here.

Around the Internet…