UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 27th March to Sunday 29th March 2015…
Disney’s Cinderella topped the UK box office in its opening weekend here in the UK, continuing the studio’s string of successes with its live-action adaptations of its animated back catalogue. The film banked £3,803,799, which is down from last year’s £6.6 million debut of Maleficent, although that included previews of £2.8 million.
Four other newcomers managed to make an impact in the top ten, with The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water pulling in £2,262,498 to take third ahead of the Will Ferrell / Kevin Hart comedy Get Hard, which opened in fourth with £1,438,389. Fantasy Seventh Son earned £411,576 to place – yup – seventh, with Oscar-nominated Wild Tales sneaking into the chart in ninth place with £183,423.
Number one this time last year: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
1. Cinderella, £3,803,799 weekend (New)
2. Home, £2,601,755 weekend; £9,309,731 total (2 weeks)
3. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, £2,262,498 weekend (New)
4. Get Hard, £1,438,389 weekend (New)
5. The Divergent Series: Insurgent, £1,307,487 weekend; 5,154,451 total (2 weeks)
6. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, £432,477 weekend; £14,477,633 total (5 weeks)
7. Seventh Son, £411,576 weekend (New)
8. Focus, £293,243 weekend; £7,093,508 total (5 weeks)
9. Wild Tales, £183,423 weekend (New)
10. Still Alice, £169,144 weekend; £2,101,047 total (4 weeks)
Blockbuster season gets underway this Friday with the release of Fast & Furious 7 (cert. 12A), while other newcomers include Russell Crowe’s directorial debut The Water Diviner (cert. 15), Noam Baumach’s While We’re Young (cert. 15), Robert Altman documentary Altman (cert. 15), and a big screen release for Blade Runner: The Final Cut (cert. 15) [read our review here].