UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 22nd May to Sunday 24th May 2015…
Disney and director Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland scored a soft opening in the US over Memorial Day Weekend with just $40.7 million, and it hasn’t fared too well on these shores either, with the sci-fi blockbuster opening in third place with £1,482,178.
Musical comedy Pitch Perfect 2 and action spectacular Mad Max: Fury Road held onto the top two spots for the second weekend with £2.67 million and £2.64 million respectively. Horror remake Poltergeist claimed fourth with an opening weekend of £1,463,014, while two other newcomers managed to sneak into the top ten: Tanu Weds Manu Returns with £174,938 in ninth, and Two By Two in tenth with £129,263.
Number one this time last year: X-Men: Days of Future Past
1. Pitch Perfect 2 – £2,665,428 weekend (2 weeks)
2. Mad Max: Fury Road – £2,639,888 weekend (2 weeks)
3. Tomorrowland – £1,482,178 weekend (New)
4. Poltergeist – £1,463,014 weekend (New)
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron – £1,067,076 weekend (5 weeks)
6. Spooks: The Greater Good – £299,558 weekend (3 weeks)
7. Far from the Madding Crowd – £220,456 weekend (4 weeks)
8. Home – £206,394 weekend (10 weeks)
9. Tanu Weds Manu Returns – £174,938 weekend (New)
10. Two By Two – £129,263 weekend (New)
This week’s newcomers include the Dwayne Johnson disaster flick San Andreas (cert. TBC), romantic comedy Man Up (cert. 15) with Simon Pegg and Lake Bell, comedy drama Danny Collins (cert. TBC) starring Al Pacino [read our review here], action thriller The Connection (cert. 15) [read our review here], and historical actioners The Dead Lands (cert. 15) [read our review here] and Sword of Vengeance (cert. 15).