UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 24th April to Sunday 26th April 2015…
Avengers: Age of Ultron opened here in the UK this past Thursday, with the latest instalment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe breaking records with a hefty £18,015,774 weekend – the biggest ever April debut, and the highest opening for a superhero movie. It also surpasses Fifty Shades of Grey (£13.55 million) for the biggest opening weekend of the year so far, and is the biggest UK opening since Skyfall back in 2012.
Despite being knocked from top spot, Fast & Furious 7 added another £1.6 million to leave the action blockbuster closing in on £35 million, but Age of Ultron pretty much sucked the life out of the rest of the chart, with only the Met Opera’s Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci managing to crack the top ten, claiming fifth with £337,698.
Number one this time last year: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
1. Avengers: Age of Ultron – £18,015,774 weekend (New)
2. Fast & Furious 7 – £1,607,659 weekend (4 weeks)
3. Cinderella – £757,113 weekend (5 weeks)
4. Home – £675,401 weekend (6 weeks)
5. Cavalleria Rusticana/Pagliacci – £337,698 weekend (New)
6. Woman in Gold – £281,230 weekend (3 weeks)
7. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water – £251,199 weekend (5 weeks)
8. Child 44 – £229,653 weekend (2 weeks)
9. Get Hard – £155,632 weekend (5 weeks)
10. The Duff – £151,514 weekend (2 weeks)
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Avengers this week, Friday’s new releases include Monsters: Dark Continent (cert. 15), Far From the Madding Crowd (cert. 12A), Unfriended (cert. TBC) [read our review here], Two By Two: Ooops… The Ark Has Gone (cert. TBC) and I Am Big Bird (cert. TBC).