UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 1st May to Sunday 3rd May 2015…
Marvel’s superhero blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron has comfortably retained top spot at the UK box office, fending off all challengers with a whopping $8.6 million second weekend, giving it £32.3 million to date. The film has already rocketed past Fifty Shades of Grey (£34.81 million) on Monday, with the year’s biggest earner so far Fast & Furious 7 (£36.87 million) firmly in its sights.
In terms of new releases, Thomas Hardy adaptation Far from the Madding Crowd claimed second place with £1,450,297 in its opening weekend, with horror Unfriended close behind in third with £1,346,952. Meanwhile, Euro animation Two By Two also cracked the top ten, earning £566,871 to finish up in seventh.
Number one this time last year: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
1. Avengers: Age of Ultron, £8,591,670 weekend; £32,297,331 total (2 weeks)
2. Far from the Madding Crowd, £1,450,297 weekend (New)
3. Unfriended, £1,346,952 weekend (New)
4. Fast & Furious 7 , £1,113,888 weekend; £36,549,326 total (5 weeks)
5. Home, £732,514 weekend; £21,822,469 total (7 weeks)
6. Cinderella, £675,425 weekend; £19,316,772 total (6 weeks)
7. Two By Two, £566,871 from 427 weekend (New)
8. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, £203,935 weekend; £7,779,282 total (6 weeks)
9. Woman in Gold, £190,175 weekend; £2,346,910 total (4 weeks)
10. Child 44, £114,301 weekend; £1,275,845 total (3 weeks)
Friday’s new releases include the spy thriller Spooks: The Greater Good (cert. 15), romantic drama The Age of Adaline (cert. TBC), Chris Rock comedy Top Five (cert. 15) [read our review here], French drama Girlhood (cert. 15), action adventure Big Game (cert. 12A) [read our review here], post-apocalyptic zombie flick Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (cert. 18) and reissues for Mad Max and Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (cert. 18).