UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 8th May to Sunday 10th May 2015…
Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron has retained the top spot at the UK box office for the third week running, fending off competition from Spooks: The Greater Good to push its cumulative gross beyond £40 million, making it the highest-grossing release of the year so far on these shores.
The big screen adaptation of Spooks debuted in second place, earning £1,010,363, while Blake Lively romantic drama The Age of Adaline pulled in £570,386 to take fourth place, while the Samuel L. Jackson-headlined adventure flick Big Game also cracked the top ten with an opening weekend of £535,905 enough to take seventh.
Number one this time last year: Bad Neighbours
1. Avengers: Age of Ultron, £3,509,620 weekend; £40,353,610 total (3 weeks)
2. Spooks: The Greater Good, £1,010,363 weekend (New)
3. Far from the Madding Crowd, £833,804 weekend; £3,588,881 total (2 weeks)
4. Unfriended, £662,622 weekend; £2,794,074 total (2 weeks)
5. The Age of Adaline, £570,386 weekend (New)
6. Fast & Furious 7, £551,153 weekend; £37,728,810 total (6 weeks)
7. Big Game, £535,905 weekend (New)
8. Home, £399,621 weekend; £22,644,534 total (8 weeks)
9. Cinderella, £327,653 weekend; £20,030,675 total (7 weeks)
10. Two by Two, £293,915 weekend; £1,190,297 total (2 weeks)
This week sees the release of two hotly-anticipated sequels in Mad Max: Fury Road (cert. TBC) [read our review here] and Pitch Perfect 2 (cert. TBC), while other newcomers include Clouds of Sils Maria (cert. 15), A Royal Night Out (cert. 12A), A Fuller Life (cert. 15) and The Tribe (cert. TBC), as well as a limited reissue of Howard Hawks’ Only Angels Have Wings.