UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 28th August to Sunday 30th August 2015…
Having proven a smash hit over in the States, the N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton took first place at the UK box office this past weekend, with the F. Gary Gray-directed film pulling in an opening weekend of £2,498,231.
Two other newcomers also cracked the top ten, with the video game adaptation Hitman: Agent 47 pulling in £961,411 to take third place, and the Charlotte Rampling / Tom Courtenay romantic drama 45 Years earning £331,196 to sneak into the chart in tenth.
Number one this time last year: Lucy
1. Straight Outta Compton – £2,498,231 weekend (New)
2. Inside Out – £1,199,103 weekend (6 weeks)
3. Hitman: Agent 47 – £961,411 weekend (New)
4. Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation – £890,857 weekend (5 weeks)
5. Pixels – £664,728 weekend (3 weeks)
6. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. – £658,399 weekend (3 weeks)
7. Sinister 2 – £569,830 weekend (2 weeks)
8. Paper Towns – £452,953 weekend (2 weeks)
9. Minions – £353,262 weekend (10 weeks)
10. 45 Years – £331,196 weekend (New)
This week’s newcomers include the action thrillers No Escape [read our review here] and The Transporter Refuelled, as well as Meryl Streep’s latest Ricki and the Flash, American Ultra starring Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart [read our review here], coming of age drama Dope, indie comedy drama Me and Earl and the Dying Girl [read our review here], romance Buttercup Bill [read our review here] and documentary Cartel Land.