With awards season fast approaching, 20th Century Fox has unveiled its ‘For Your Consideration’ campaigns for the upcoming 91st Academy Awards, which includes a big push for this year’s hit superhero sequel Deadpool 2, with the studio lobbying in the following categories:
- Best Picture (Simon Kinberg, Ryan Reynolds, Lauren Shuler Donner)
- Best Director (David Letich)
- Best Original Screenplay (Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Ryan Reynolds)
- Best Actor (Ryan Reynolds)
- Best Supporting Actor (Josh Brolin, Julian Dennison, T.J. Miller, Karan Soni, Jack Kesy)
- Best Supporting Actress (Morena Baccarin, Zazie Beetz, Leslie Uggams, Brianna Hildebrand)
- Best Production Design (David Scheunemann, Sandy Walker)
- Best Cinematography (Jonathan Sela)
- Best Costume Design (Kurt Swanson, Bart Mueller)
- Best Film Editing (Elisabet Ronaldsdottir, Dirk Westervelt, Craig Alpert)
- Best Makeup And Hairstyling (Bill Corso, Monic Huppert)
- Best Original Score (Tyler Bates)
- Best Sound Editing (Mark Stoeckinger)
- Best Sound Mixing (Mark Noda, Paul Massey, Martyn Zub)
- Best Visual Effects (Dan Glass, Mike Vezina, Michael Brazelton, Stephane Naze)
There was some Oscar buzz surrounding the first Deadpool back in 2016, although ultimately – as with many comic book movies – it found itself shut out when the nominations were announced. Whether Deadpool 2 can go one better and score a nomination remains to be seen; the smart money says its unlikely – particularly for Best Picture – but with any luck we might get a funny For Your Consideration promo featuring Ryan Reynolds’ Merc with a Mouth.
Deadpool 2 isn’t the only superhero movie of the year with Oscar ambitions, as Marvel Studios has also launched campaigns for both Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War. Let us know in the comments below whether you think any of the three have a good chance at glory…
Marvel’s motormouth mercenary is back! Bigger, better and occasionally more pantless than ever before. When a super soldier arrives on a murderous mission, Deadpool is forced to think about friendship, family and what it really means to be a hero – all while kicking 50 shades of ass. Because, sometimes, to do the right thing you need to fight dirty.
Deadpool 2 sees David Leitch (John Wick) directing a cast that includes returning stars Ryan Reynolds (Wade Wilson), Morena Baccarin (Vanessa), T.J. Miller (Weasel), Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead), Stefan Kapicic (Colossus), Leslie Uggams (Blind Al) and Karan Soni (Dopinder) alongside new additions Zazie Beetz (Atlanta) as Domino, Josh Brolin (Avengers: Infinity War) as Cable, Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) as Bedlam, Lewis Tan (Iron Fist) as Shatterstar, Bill Skarsgard (It) as Zeitgeist, Rob Delaney (Catastrophe), Julian Dennison (Hunt for the Wilderpeople) as Russell, Jack Kesy (The Strain) as Black Tom Cassidy and Shioli Kutsuna (The Outsider) as Yukio.