Indie developer The Appreciative Minimalist has announced that they will be releasing their mystery exploration game The Life of Frederick Sommer on PC and Mac early next year on Steam. This first-person mystery title will take players on a journey through flashbacks of Frederick Sommer’s life.
In The Life of Frederick Sommer the titular character is alone at sea with nothing but a few books to read and a lifetime of memories to dwell upon. Players will explore Frederick’s life, his relationship with his fiancee and her wealthy father and ultimately discover what it is that connects them all.
- Stunning graphical style: Minimal 8-bit retro 3D art style based on early adventure games.
- Escape reality: Read books on the deck, collect shells on the beach or just relax by the poolside, escape for as little or long as you like.
- An original mystery: A first-person narrative adventure unfolds through scenes from your life.
- Environments: Explore unique vignettes throughout your life, from the 1969 Moon landing to the secluded summer house.
- Secrets: Discover hidden objects and subplots.
“Sadly many gamers use the medium to escape personal pressures – an escape from oneself. Escaping one’s virtual self often ends in an instant respawn, I don’t like this new upgrade, I’ll die and reset, in real life it just doesn’t work that way, in The Life of Frederick Sommer death is another form of escapism, I just wish it wasn’t.” creator Zakary Kinnaird said. “I wanted to create a game where you can roleplay the fantasy of quitting your job, buying a boat, and sailing into the sunset. As romantic as it sounds, escaping your life would soon have serious consequences, a reality we rarely address in video games today.”
The Life of Frederick Sommer will launch on Steam for PC and Mac early next year. Wishlist the game now on Steam for a 10% discount at launch.