UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 29th May to Sunday 31st May 2015…
Warner Bros.’ disaster flick San Andreas has topped the UK box office chart in its opening weekend, with the Dwayne Johnson-headlined film pulling in £4,628,394 to dethrone reigning champ Pitch Perfect 2.
In addition to San Andreas, two other films managed to crack the top ten, with the Simon Pegg / Lake Bell rom-com Man Up earning £528,748 in seventh, and Al Pacino comedy drama Danny Collins propping up the chart in tenth with £225,308.
Number one this time last year: X-Men: Days of Future Past
1. San Andreas, £4,628,394 weekend (New)
2. Pitch Perfect 2, £1,873,567 weekend; £14,526,774 weekend (3 weeks)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road, £1,745,941 weekend; £13,722,941 weekend (3 weeks)
4. Tomorrowland, £1,041,255 weekend; £4,103,403 weekend (2 weeks)
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron, £883,790 weekend; £47,144,213 weekend (6 weeks)
6. Poltergeist, £734,943 weekend; £3,361,736 weekend (2 weeks)
7. Man Up, £528,748 weekend (New)
8. Home, £456,794 weekend; £24,062,500 weekend (11 weeks)
9. Two by Two, £264,548 weekend; £2,062,178 weekend (2 weeks)
10. Danny Collins, £225,308 weekend (New)
This week’s newcomers include the Melissa McCarthy comedy Spy (cert. 15) [read our reviews here and here], horror prequel Insidious: Chapter 3 (cert. 15) and Milla Jovovich / Pierce Brosnan action thriller Survivor (cert. 12A), along with Four Corners (cert. TBC), Listen Up Philip (cert. TBC), Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films (cert. TBC) [read our review here] and Shooting for Socrates (cert. TBC).