UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 17th to Sunday 19th July 2015…
After three weeks atop the chart, Minions has been knocked from pole position at the UK box office by Marvel’s latest superhero blockbuster Ant-Man, which debuted in first place with an opening weekend of £4,011,345.
While certainly solid, Ant-Man’s opening is the lowest for Marvel on these shores since Captain America: The First Avenger, which debuted with £2.98 million back in 2011, and the third-lowest overall, with The Incredible Hulk pulling in an opening weekend of £3.25 million (including £500k of previews) in 2008.
In addition to Ant-Man, three other newcomers cracked the top ten, with a live-stream of Dutch violinist Andre Rieu’s 2015 Maastricht Concert earning £1,107,000 to claim fifth, followed by Bollywood drama Bajrangi Bhaijaan in seventh with £758,195 and horror The Gallows down in ninth with £335,421.
Number one this time last year: Transformers: Age of Extinction
1. Ant-Man, £4,011,345 weekend (New)
2. Minions, £2,702,320 weekend; £32,293,570 weekend (4 weeks)
3. Ted 2, £1,360,492 weekend; £7,042,645 weekend (2 weeks)
4. Jurassic World, £1,136,220 weekend; £59,499,942 weekend (6 weeks)
5. Andre Rieu’s 2015 Maastricht Concert, £1,107,000 weekend (New)
6. Terminator Genisys, £823,384 weekend; £9,237,056 weekend (3 weeks)
7. Bajrangi Bhaijaan, £758,195 weekend (New)
8. Magic Mike XXL, £524,161 weekend; £5,501,254 weekend (3 weeks)
9. The Gallows, £335,421 weekend (New)
10. Amy, £315,421 weekend; £2,062,289 weekend (3 weeks)
Disney-Pixar’s Inside Out finally makes it to these shores this Friday [read our review here], while other newcomers include Southpaw starrring Jake Gyllenhaal, Arnold Schwarzenegger zombie drama Maggie [read our review here], Robert Carlyle’s The Legend of Barney Thomson, and Ruth & Alex starring Morgan Fdreeman and Diane Keaton.