UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 24th to Sunday 26th July 2015…
It was Joy at the UK box office for Disney this past weekend, as Pixar’s Inside Out topped the chart with an opening weekend of £7,376,513, while Marvel’s Ant-Man enjoyed a healthy second weekend of £2.52 million to leave its UK haul just short of £10 million after ten days on release.
Aside from Inside Out, only one other newcomer managed to make an impact in the top ten, with the Antoine Fuqua-helmed boxing drama Southpaw claiming fourth palce with £1,662,296 and giving star Jake Gyllenhaal his best opening on these shores since 2006’s Jarhead.
Number one this time last year: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
1. Inside Out, £7,376,513 weekend (New)
2. Ant-Man, £2,520,129 weekend; £9,616,486 total (2 weeks)
3. Minions, £2,268,007 weekend; £37,097,156 total (5 weeks)
4. Southpaw, £1,662,296 weekend (New)
5. Jurassic World, £1,004,125 weekend; £61,500,833 total (7 weeks)
6. Ted 2, £729,103 weekend; £8,754,916 total (3 weeks)
7. Terminator Genisys, £490,889 weekend; £10,373,878 total (4 weeks)
8. Bajrangi Bhaijaan, £407,634 weekend; £1,712,161 total (2 weeks)
9. Secret Cinema presents Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back, £304,900 weekend; £3,009,465 total (8 weeks)
10. Magic Mike XXL, £276,204 weekend; £6,333,013 total (4 weeks)
This Thursday sees the release of the Tom Cruise spy sequel Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, while Friday’s new releases including Hot Pursuit starring Reese Witherspoon and Sofia Vergara, Beyond the Reach with Michael Douglas, Jeremy Irvine and Ronny Cox, and The Cobbler starring Adam Sandler.