Back in the late 1980’s The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Ace (Sophie Aldred) sped across Time and Space facing off against some of the Doctor’s greatest foes. From the Daleks to the Cybermen in the early episodes and here – with this release – dragging the viewers into sheer horror with The Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light. Now finally, from the BBC, Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26 is coming to Blu-Ray and it is jammed with extras.
With four Who classics on this collection, starting with Battlefield and ending with Survival, Season 26 features guest stars including Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), Anthony Ainley (The Master), Jean Marsh, Nicholas Parsons, Anne Reid, Ian Hogg, Sylvia Syms and comedy duo Hale & Pace, this fondly-remembered set of stories saw the end of an era for Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26and set the stage for its hugely successful revival.Included on the disc is:-
- Ghost Light
- The Curse of Fenric
- Rare Restored Extended Cuts – The Curse Of Fenric VHS Extended Version, The Curse Of Fenric DVD Special Edition, Battlefield VHS Extended Version and Battlefield DVD Special Edition
- 5.1 surround sound & isolated scores on all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenric and Battlefield.
- Behind the Sofa – new episodes with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, plus companions Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills and Jodie-Whittaker-era writers Pete McTighe & Joy Wilkinson.
- Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner – a feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who’s longest-serving producer, who fought to keep the programme on-air during the 1980s. Contributors include Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
- Making ‘The Curse of Fenric’- a brand new documentary featuring Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Tomek Bork, Nicholas Parsons, Cory Pulman, Marek Anton, Ian Briggs, Andrew Cartmel, Mark Ayres and Ian Collins featuring unseen behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.
- In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.
- The Writers’ Room – Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro and Andrew Cartmel discuss their work on Season 26.
- Becoming The Destroyer – Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recall the creation of one of Doctor Who’s best-ever monsters.
- Plus: Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint, unseen studio footage, rare archive treats, convention footage, HD photo galleries, scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files and other gems from the archive in PDF.
- The seven-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26 is available in the UK from the 23rd December and you can pre-order it now from from Amazon.