UK box office top ten and analysis for the weekend of Friday 15th May to Sunday 17th May 2015…
After three weeks atop the UK box office chart, Avengers: Age of Ultron has lost its place to two new sequels, with the musical comedy Pitch Perfect 2 fending off competition from post apocalyptic action epic Mad Max: Fury Road to claim first place.
Pitch Perfect 2 pulled in an impressive £5,005,394 in its opening weekend to top the chart, with Fury Road following closely behind with £4,538,933 in second. Meanwhile, the British comedy drama A Royal Night Out also cracked the top ten, with a £301,686 debut enough to take sixth.
Despite slipping to third, Marvel’s blockbuster superhero sequel Age of Ultron pushed its UK total beyond the £43 million mark, making it the highest grossing movie of the year to date on these shores.
Number one this time last year: Bad Neighbours
1. Pitch Perfect 2 – £5,005,394 weekend (New)
2. Mad Max: Fury Road – £4,538,933 weekend (New)
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron – £1,661,968 weekend (4 weeks)
4. Spooks: The Greater Good – £533,843 weekend (2 weeks)
5. Far from the Madding Crowd – £400,566 weekend (3 weeks)
6. A Royal Night Out – £301,686 weekend (New)
7. Home – £252,245 weekend (9 weeks)
8. Unfriended – £250,428 weekend (3 weeks)
9. Fast & Furious 7 – £224,972 weekend (7 weeks)
10. The Age of Adaline – £193,494 weekend (2 weeks)
Arriving in cinemas this Friday are Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland [read our review here] and the remake of the horror classic Poltergeist, while other newcomers include Return to Sender, Tokyo Tribe, The Moomins on the Riviera, The New Girlfriend, and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night.