• Pop Culture
    • Movies
    • Television
    • Comic Books
    • Video Games
    • Toys & Collectibles
  • Features
    • News
    • Reviews
    • Articles and Opinions
    • Interviews
    • Exclusives
    • FMTV on YouTube
  • About
    • About Flickering Myth
    • Write for Flickering Myth
    • Advertise on Flickering Myth
  • Socials
    • Facebook
    • X
    • Instagram
    • Flipboard
    • Bluesky
    • Linktree
  • Terms
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy

Flickering Myth

Geek Culture | Movies, TV, Comic Books & Video Games

  • News
  • Reviews
  • Articles & Opinions
  • The Baby in the Basket
  • Death Among the Pines

Josh Trank exits Star Wars Anthology spin-off movie

May 2, 2015 by Gary Collinson

Having been absent from the ‘Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank’ panel at Star Wars Celebration last month due to “flu”, it has been announced tonight that Josh Trank (Chronicle, Fantastic Four) has vacated the director’s chair on Disney’s second Star Wars Anthology standalone movie.

“After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path,” said Trank. “I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.”

Lucasfilm also posted its own announcement, stating that: “It was a privilege to collaborate with Josh. We are grateful for the energy and love of Star Wars that he brought to the process, and we wish him all the best.”

UPDATE: According to THR, “Trank was asked by Disney executives not to attend the [Celebration] event… Rumors have persisted that Fox is unhappy with Trank’s performance on Fantastic Four and that Kinberg, who is producing both that film and the second Star Wars spinoff, was getting cold feet about working with Trank again.”

Disney and Lucasfilm will now need to find a replacement for the 2018 release, which has been penned by Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) and Simon Kinberg (Star Wars Rebels). The plot for the film is being kept tightly under wraps.

Are you disappointed that Josh Trank has left the Star Wars spin-off, and who would you like to see taking on the reins?

https://youtu.be/pnc360pUDRI?list=PL18yMRIfoszFLSgML6ddazw180SXMvMz5

Originally published May 2, 2015. Updated April 14, 2018.

Filed Under: Gary Collinson, Movies, News Tagged With: Josh Trank, Star Wars

About Gary Collinson

Gary Collinson is a film, TV and digital content producer and writer who is the Editor-in-Chief of the pop culture website Flickering Myth and producer of the gothic horror feature 'The Baby in the Basket' and suspense thriller 'Death Among the Pines'.

FMTV – Watch Our Latest Video Here

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Chilling Stranded-in-the-Snow Movies for Your Watchlist

A New Golden Age for John le Carré

10 Stylish Bubblegum Horror Movies for Your Watch List

Bookended Brilliance: Directors with Great First and Last Films

10 Great Horror Movies with Villainous Protagonists

The Prisoner: The Classic British TV Series Revisited

Who is the Best Final Girl in Horror?

In a Violent Nature and Other Slasher Movies That Subvert the Genre

Asian Shock Horror Movies You Have To See

10 Essential Action Movies from 2005

Top Stories:

Movie Review – EPiC: Elvis Presley in Concert (2026)

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Episode 5 Review – ‘In the Name of the Mother’

Taxi Driver at 50: The Story Behind Martin Scorsese’s Classic Psychological Drama

7 Bizarre 1980s Horror Movies You Might Have Missed

Retro Games That Put Their Heroes Through Hell For Love

Movie Review – If I Had Legs I’d Kick You (2025)

Deadpool at 10: The Story Behind the Irreverent Superhero Blockbuster

7 John Hughes Movies You Might Have Missed

Movie Review – Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die (2026)

4K Ultra HD Review – Stolen Face (1952)

FLICKERING MYTH FILMS

 

FEATURED POSTS:

Philip K. Dick & Hollywood: The Essential Movie Adaptations

10 Alien Franchise Rip-Offs That Are Worth A Watch

10 More International Horror Movies You Need to See

Great Korean Animated Movies You Need To See

  • Pop Culture
    • Movies
    • Television
    • Comic Books
    • Video Games
    • Toys & Collectibles
  • Features
    • News
    • Reviews
    • Articles and Opinions
    • Interviews
    • Exclusives
    • FMTV on YouTube
  • About
    • About Flickering Myth
    • Write for Flickering Myth
    • Advertise on Flickering Myth
  • Socials
    • Facebook
    • X
    • Instagram
    • Flipboard
    • Bluesky
    • Linktree
  • Terms
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy

© Flickering Myth Limited. All rights reserved. The reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication of the content without permission is strictly prohibited. Movie titles, images, etc. are registered trademarks / copyright their respective rights holders. Read our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. If you can read this, you don't need glasses.


 

Flickering MythLogo Header Menu
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Articles and Opinions
  • The Baby in the Basket
  • Death Among the Pines
  • About Flickering Myth
  • Write for Flickering Myth