• News
  • Reviews
  • Features
    • Articles and Long Reads
    • Interviews
    • Exclusives
  • Pop Culture
    • Movies
    • Television
    • Comic Books
    • Video Games
    • Toys & Collectibles
  • Flickering Myth Films
  • About
    • About Flickering Myth
    • Advertise on FlickeringMyth.com
    • Write for Flickering Myth

Flickering Myth

Film & TV News, Reviews and Features

  • Movies
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Long Reads
  • Trending

Fantastic Four screenwriter details his original plans for the failed reboot

August 16, 2016 by Gary Collinson

During an interview with Screen Crush, screenwriter Jeremy Slater has been discussing his work on last year’s box office bomb Fantastic Four. Revealing that he spent around six months working on 10-15 drafts for the superhero reboot before ultimately being replaced by director Josh Trank and producer Simon Kinberg, Slater suggested that the final film played out very much like the opening 45 pages of an early 130-page draft – albeit with ‘Planet Zero’ referred to as the Negative Zone, and home to Annihilus – although the remainder of the script had much more material:

“In addition to Annihilus and the Negative Zone, we had Doctor Doom declaring war against the civilized world, the Mole Man unleashing a 60 foot genetically-engineered monster in downtown Manhattan, a commando raid on the Baxter Foundation, a Saving Private Ryan-style finale pitting our heroes against an army of Doombots in war-torn Latveria, and a post-credit teaser featuring Galactus and the Silver Surfer destroying an entire planet,” said Slater. “We had monsters and aliens and Fantasticars and a cute spherical H.E.R.B.I.E. robot that was basically BB-8 two years before BB-8 ever existed. And if you think all of that sounds great…well, yeah, we did, too. The problem was, it would have also been massively, MASSIVELY expensive.”

SEE ALSO: In (partial) defence of Fantastic Four

Cramming so much into the film would certainly have required a massive budget, and Slater said that he understands why 20th Century Fox was reluctant to commit: “Would you spend $300 million on a Fantastic Four film? Particularly after the previous two films left a fairly bad taste in audiences’ mouths? … It’s understandable that everyone involved would take steps to minimize their risk as much as possible. Unfortunately, those steps probably compromised the film to a fatal degree.”

What do you make of these details? Would it have improved the film, or led to an even bigger failure for the studio? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below…

Originally published August 16, 2016. Updated April 15, 2018.

Filed Under: Gary Collinson, Movies, News Tagged With: fantastic four, Jeremy Slater, Marvel

About Gary Collinson

Gary Collinson is Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Flickering Myth. He is a film, television and digital content writer and producer, whose work includes the gothic horror feature The Baby in the Basket and the suspense thriller Death Among the Pines. He is also the author of Holy Franchise, Batman! Bringing the Caped Crusader to the Screen.

FMTV – Watch Our Latest Video Here

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

The Rise and Disappointing Disappearance of Director Richard Kelly

Horror Sequel Highs & Lows

The Gruesome Brilliance of 1980s Italian Horror Cinema

Sirens from Space: Species and Under The Skin

1995: The Year Horror Sequels Hit Rock Bottom?

15 Movies To Watch On Tubi UK

10 Obscure Horror Movies to Watch on Tubi

The Worst Movies From The Best Horror Franchises

7 Great Dystopian Thrillers of the 1970s

The Films Quentin Tarantino Wrote But Didn’t Direct

FEATURED POSTS:

Blu-ray Review – Jitters (2026)

Movie Review – Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)

Movie Review – Saccharine (2026)

10 Essential On-the-Run Movies You Need to See

Everything We Know About Season 3 of The Pitt

Alice Eve’s honeymoon takes a dark turn in trailer for shark thriller Chum

Movie Review – I Love Boosters (2026)

Movie Review – Killer Whale (2026)

10 Essential Revenge Thrillers You May Have Missed

10 Essential Italian Horror Movies of the 1980s

FLICKERING MYTH FILMS

 

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

2025 in Film: What Did We Learn?

7 Memorable Movie Portrayals of Frankenstein’s Monster

Ranking Video Game Movie Sequels From Worst to Best

Friday the 13th at 45: The Story Behind the Classic Slasher

  • News
  • Reviews
  • Features
    • Articles and Long Reads
    • Interviews
    • Exclusives
  • Pop Culture
    • Movies
    • Television
    • Comic Books
    • Video Games
    • Toys & Collectibles
  • Flickering Myth Films
  • About
    • About Flickering Myth
    • Advertise on FlickeringMyth.com
    • Write for Flickering Myth

© Flickering Myth Limited. All rights reserved. The reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication of the content without permission is strictly prohibited. Movie titles, images, etc. are registered trademarks / copyright their respective rights holders. Read our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. If you can read this, you don't need glasses.


 

Flickering MythLogo Header Menu
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Movies
  • Features and Long Reads
  • Trending
  • Flickering Myth Films
  • About Flickering Myth
    • About Flickering Myth
    • Advertise on Flickering Myth
    • Write for Flickering Myth