Having originally been slated to arrive in May, Aspyr has today announced today that the classic Nintendo 64 podracing game Star Wars Episode I: Racer will arrive on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 next week, on Tuesday, June 23rd.
ATTN Star Wars Episode l: Racer Fans!!!
We are slated to release on both Nintendo Switch and PS4 on June 23rd.
Thank you for your continued support, .gifs, and kind comments as we've worked on this release.
🏁We'll see you on the racetracks.🏁 pic.twitter.com/9hRgvzqvpZ
— Aspyr (@AspyrMedia) June 16, 2020
Based on the podracing sequence from Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, the game puts players behind the controls of a podracer speeding through flaming methane lakes, Tusken Raider assaults, anti-gravity tunnels, and much more in a pulse-pounding, do-or-die fight to the finish line.
“Star Wars fans can soon go full throttle with Aspyr’s update to the classic, fan-favorite, Star Wars Episode I: Racer,” said Elizabeth Howard, vice president of publishing at Aspyr. “The beloved game has been modernized for the most optimal gaming experience on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Star Wars fans should get ready to steer their racer to victory and leave their opponents in the dust.”
Star Wars Episode I: Racer features:
- Twenty-five (25) playable racers including Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, and Ratts Tyerell
- Race tracks spanning eight unique worlds including Tatooine, Baroonda, and Malastare
- Players can work with pit droids to upgrade podracers for higher top speeds and acceleration
- Discover short-cuts and secrets to master lap times
- Play single player campaigns or multiplayer via split-screen
Star Wars Episode I: Racer is set for release on June 23rd, priced $14.99.